Last September 6, 2008 was indeed a lot of firsts.
- The 1st WordCamp in the Philippines and the first in Southeast Asia.
- First time for CSB (our host school) to be involved in an international Open Source event.
- RedMedia‘s first time to co-organize a blogger event. (More events to come)
- 1st time to collaborate with the Mindanao Bloggers. It was a pleasant experience so for sure it won’t be the last.
- 1st time to see Paul Pajo rock out to Zombie! (see below)
- It was Matt’s first time in the Philippines and Asia as well. (We hoped it was the first time he ate ‘balut’ or to rock ‘n roll in a kareoke bar but we failed to make him.)
It was indeed serious fun. Mike and I (RedMedia) were co-organizer with the Mindanao Bloggers headed by Blogie Robillo. We helped out with the admin preparations, logistics, etc. More memorable was because I was the “official” chaperone, GRO, hawi-boy, bodyguard, driver, nanny, yaya for Mr. WordPress tagging along Atty. Jomi Manalo and his BMW X5 and fleet of cars.
More thanks goes to our very gracious venue host, School of Management Information Technology (SMIT) of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde headed by Dean Benhur Ong. To all the volunteers (you know who you are) thank you for your dedication.
Of course, it was a family affair. I was with my lovely wife, Marites and my kids (Carissa & Joshua). They are the youngest WordCampers (until disputed). More photos here. More coverage here http://www.google.com/search?q=wordcamp+philippines
The WordCamp chillax after-party was a blast with Paul “Pageman” Pajo rock-eoke Zombie!
Looking forward for next year. Boys and girls, see you at WordCamp Philippines 2009!